Valley Regional Adult Education


GED Ask A Question

What are my options for earning my High School Diploma?
A State-administered GED Exam allows you to earn a High School Equivalency Diploma. This exam tests five subject areas during two four-hour sessions: Language Arts/Reading, Language Arts/Writing, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science. Students must earn a minimum standardized score in order to pass. Students can attend the GED Program to prepare for the exam, the program features self-paced, individualized and group instruction. A customized curriculum meets each student's needs and is documented through individual student portfolios.
How do I register for classes?
To register for GED classes, you must be seventeen years of age or older and officially withdrawn from day school. If you are 17 years old, you must present a withdrawal letter from the last high school you attended, signed by a parent or guardian. You must register in person; see registration dates and times on the GED page.
How long will it take to earn my diploma?
The length of your program will depend on your familiarity with the material presented on the exam and your readiness to take the eight-hour exam. Students work at their own pace and have the option of taking the Official GED Practice Test. The instructor and student will determine together when the student is ready to take the exam, based on class criteria. The student will then register for the next available exam.
Does my attendance affect my grade?
Yes, your attendance is essential for successfully completing the program. Although students work at their own pace, the more consistently you attend classes the faster you will progress through the program.
How much do the programs cost?
The GED Program is free to residents of Ansonia, Derby, Monroe, Seymour and Shelton who meet program eligibility requirements. There is a $13.00 fee to take the State GED Exam for students aged 21 years and older. Veterans take the GED Exam at no cost.
Who issues my diploma?
When you pass the State GED Exam, you will receive a Connecticut State High School Diploma issued by the CT State Department of Education, Bureau of Career and Adult Education.
Is one diploma better than the other?
No. The GED-High School Equivalency Diploma and the Adult High School Credit Diploma are equally valid.

The GED-High School Equivalency Diploma is accepted by colleges and employers. Check with your local branch of the military for their recruitment requirements.

Valley Regional Adult Education
54 Grove Street
Shelton, CT 06484
(203) 924-6651

Facebook Twitter